Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:39 pm 

I've recently received my yubikey neo and have already successfully used it my Ubuntu box as well as my android smartphone.

However, I have trouble getting it to work on my Windows 7 x64 workstation. So far I have tried steps 1-3 from here http://forum.yubico.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2053.
Drivers are all up-to-date.
I have also tried plugging it into different USB slots(directly as well as with USB hubs), but without success.

The LED is flashing rapidly when it's plugged in, after that it never blinks.
The NEO doesn't output anything into notepad when the button is pressed.

The yubikey personalization tool tells me that an "unknown error occurred" and when examining the "detailed diagnostics" by clicking on the yubikey logo, the software says "USB Error: The operation was completed successfully.", except for the "The operation was completed successfully" part is in the language the computer is set to(doesn't contain characters that aren't in the latin alphabet).

No part of the yubikey functionality works, neither OTP nor U2F nor CCID.
None of the USB ports are faulty and all of them are version 2.0.
I can also assure you that the yubikey is in fact not dead.

Firmware version is 3.4.9

Yes, I did try to turn my computer off and on again. Between the driver uninstalls and with the drivers installed(about 20 times).

Thank you in advance for helping in resolving this.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:40 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

Does Device Manager list the entries that are shown in the screenshots in the forum post you referenced? The YubiKey should also be listed in "Devices and Printers", including which modes are enabled. If it's not showing up as having the drivers properly loaded, check C:\windows\INF and confirm usb.inf and usb.pnf are both present in that directory. I've seen some Windows 7 computers missing these files, and none of the YubiKey functionality will work if they are missing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:57 pm 

Thanks for your reply!

ChrisHalos wrote:
Does Device Manager list the entries that are shown in the screenshots in the forum post you referenced?

It does show all devices except for the "Identity Device (NIST SP 800-73 [PIV]". Other than that, it does show multiple HID-compliant devices (all of which are reinstalled once the yubikey is pugged in again) and multiple HID-Keyboards. (only one Smart card reader).

ChrisHalos wrote:
The YubiKey should also be listed in "Devices and Printers", including which modes are enabled.

The yubikey is listed there under "Yubikey NEO OTP+U2F+CCID".

ChrisHalos wrote:
If it's not showing up as having the drivers properly loaded, check C:\windows\INF and confirm usb.inf and usb.pnf are both present in that directory. I've seen some Windows 7 computers missing these files, and none of the YubiKey functionality will work if they are missing.

Just to be sure, I checked and both files were present and last updated in January of 2014.

It would be amazing if we could get it to work!
Thanks for your time and help thus far.