Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:34 pm 

I am not entirely certain to what degree the NFC gets used and what it is capable for. I have tried going through the manual online but I could not find the kind of information I am looking for.

Essentially I am looking for perhaps use-cases like you can do this with it and that and this. Or Yubico OTP works over NFC, openPGP works over NFC etc. It is just not very clear to me other than it has NFC which can provide the phone app access to the TOTP codes that are stored in it. That is one feature I do know and is well enough documented and video-demoed. Can someone please help me with this information?

(a knowledge base/blog entry or something that clearly states what the NFC can allow you to do would be very very helpful in showing people like me "Here is why you want the Neo as opposed to the Yubikey 4) etc.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:37 pm 

NFC could be considered USB over another carrier medium, so anything should at least theoretically work. There are plenty of limitations, but these are OS or application side. So far Android is the only environment where there is full Yubikey NFC support in OS and apps (I have used U2F, OATH-[HT]OTP, C-R, PGP and OTP) - on the other hand, in Android USB may only be used with the Yubikey for plain HID-keyboard emulation password typing, anything upward of that would require a USB kernel driver (which you could only install on a rooted device - provided you know how to patch and compile kernel drivers).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:45 pm 

Thanks. I cannot get the otp or static password functions to work over NFC. I got that Yubiclip app but it just does nothing but crash. Very interesting that all features should theoretically work though, for an unpowered device.