Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: [Question] NFC U2F
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:58 pm 

dain wrote:
I don't see any reason that we wouldn't release details of "our" NFC protocol if it doesn't match the final U2F NFC spec (though I can't make that decision alone). So to answer your question: Probably, if there's demand for it.

Cool. Still wondering about client libraries though, to make it easier for developers to integrate into apps?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

https://developers.yubico.com/u2f is this what you are looking for???

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:59 pm 

Quote:
Currently U2F does not support NFC, the NEO does however for all the other applets/protocols.

Please contact yubi.co/support - with order number, email, - and ask for a refund.

Thanks for the clarification. However, I read the "ask for a refund" as "Too bad, go f**k yourself."

Quote:
Exists or not, it should be mentioned more prominently than that. It took me a while to re-find that blurb, so clearly not obvious.

^ This is what I'm talking about. Carefully crafted wording, put in an obscure corner of the site. Carefully crafted, because a Google search for "YubiKey NEO U2F NFC" offers results that fly directly in the face of "Currently U2F does not support NFC."

I really do like my NEO. Honestly. If I come across as crass, it's because I have a hard time with shifty business practices and obviously-omitted product info in an attempt to boost sales. Just be honest with us up front, and the money will follow close behind that honesty.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:29 pm 

As far as I can tell, the APDU format is already set and ready to go. The only things left to be defined are the AID and a way to indicate that the authentication occurred over NFC. Depending on how careful yubico was and how contrarian the working group is, it is entirely possible that once the U2F spec is announced that NFC with a ykneo will "just work".

In the worst case it would be pretty trivial for compliant NFC implementations to support the existing ykneo devices over NFC.

So sit tight for a bit and see how it plays out. Don't go returning your neo just yet.

I don't personally feel like the NFC U2F demo that Yubico release was intended as anything other than an engineering demonstration. I've only become aware of it from reading this forum. I don't think anything "shady" was intended. Yes, in retrospect, releasing it is confusing from a marketing perspective, but to attribute what is likely an honest mistake with some sort of marketing malice is, in my humble opinion, a mistake.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:14 pm 

@SparkyXI: "I read the "ask for a refund" as "Too bad, go f**k yourself.""

IMHO, that kind of response is not only childish and inappropriate, but lowers the standards of our communication here. Please find somewhere else to deposit such bile in the future.

While I understand the basis of the frustration, offering a refund option is actually the only thing Yubico can offer in this situation. Clearly, it would NOT be in anyones interest if they were to compromise security just to be able to update firmware just to avoid such inconvenince. The principle of non-changeable firmware is much more important than that. Given that this aspect of the Yubikey design is long communicated very clearly, your response is totally malplaced, as we are all aware of the related potential consequences and "risk".

Go for the refund and consider not being at the forefront of development next time if you cannot withstand these perceived risks.

Yubikeys are multi-function devices that can serve several other (very practical) purposes too if you happen to keep it instead. It is a flexible product that comes with certain dilemmas, which is not unusual anywhere.

That said, Yubico can certainly learn from this and improve their communication anyway, especially at the sales pages, that should have more easily available information about dilemmas and adviseable considerations before purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:23 pm 

By the way... I just noticed that, on recent Yubikey Neo devices, the U2F applet (Yubico U2F v1.1.0) now supports the new Fido U2F NFC AID:

Code:
$ opensc-tool -s 00a4040008A0000006472F0001
Using reader with a card: Yubico Yubikey NEO OTP+U2F+CCID
Sending: 00 A4 04 00 08 A0 00 00 06 47 2F 00 01
Received (SW1=0x90, SW2=0x00):
55 32 46 5F 56 32 U2F_V2

...which is promising. This probably indicates that recent ykneos already support U2F NFC!

https://fidoalliance.org/specs/fido-u2f ... -selection

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:54 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

darco wrote:
By the way... I just noticed that, on recent Yubikey Neo devices, the U2F applet (Yubico U2F v1.1.0) now supports the new Fido U2F NFC AID:

Code:
$ opensc-tool -s 00a4040008A0000006472F0001
Using reader with a card: Yubico Yubikey NEO OTP+U2F+CCID
Sending: 00 A4 04 00 08 A0 00 00 06 47 2F 00 01
Received (SW1=0x90, SW2=0x00):
55 32 46 5F 56 32 U2F_V2

...which is promising. This probably indicates that recent ykneos already support U2F NFC!

https://fidoalliance.org/specs/fido-u2f ... -selection

3.4 firmware NEOs, that is correct. Basically, NEOs manufactured since around mid-February 2015.