Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:42 am 

I am investigating adding additional security to our software products. I just ordered a NEO. However I also need a contactless USB NFC reader thats compatible with the NEO. Any recommendations on a USB NFC reader thats PC compatible. Yes, I know all about the USB keyboard feature of the NEO but users are low tech and need contactless.

Thanks.
Erik

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

I have tested under Windows a HID omnikey 5321 v2 for the Yubico Authenticator and it was working fine. It is supposed to work under Linux with some special drive.

i'll ask around for more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:35 pm 

Tom wrote:
Hello,

I have tested under Windows a HID omnikey 5321 v2 for the Yubico Authenticator and it was working fine. It is supposed to work under Linux with some special drive.

i'll ask around for more.

Tom, thanks for the quick reply. I just ordered that HID omnikey 5321 v2 from Amazon based on your suggestion.

Windows is my current test target although for a complete solution I would need Windows, Linux, and Mac. I have several Yubikey for years but I just ordered my first NEO. Wish I had the U2F version as that is the real test target since Google seems to be deprecating all the older specs. I forgot to add the Applet to my order but it seems I can install that myself.

Erik Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes please use our newly released tool,

Yubikey NEO manager
http://opensource.yubico.com/yubikey-neo-manager/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:00 pm 

Gemalto Prox:

http://support.gemalto.com/?id=prox-du_prox-su

Works under Linux with default open source drivers (Free Software CCID driver).

See:

http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid/ ... 08E60x5503

vs

http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid/ ... 076B0x5321

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:43 am 

Ok. Its been a long day but I have the Yubikey NEO in -m82 via ykpersonalize.exe -m82

I have the following applets loaded on the NEO
Yubikey OTP
OpenPGP
Yubico PIV

I uploaded a OpenGPG Key to the NEO with the Windows version of GPG (http://gpg4win.org).

I have the Omnikey 5321 v2 Smartcard/NFC reader. Its certain that nothing works if the Omnikey and NEO are both plugged into USB ports at the same time.

What next? For Windows (or Mac) how do I test the NEO+NFC with the Omnikey Smartcard reader? Any test tools/apps to test the Omnikey NFC + NEO together? I have looked at the opensource.yubico.com but the projects arent documented well as to what functionality they provide. I prefer C/C++ or Python test apps if available. .NET is Ok too. I prefer C/C++ because ultimately it can be cross-platform and linked into any App.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

I have an Omnikey, and if the Yubikey is plugged in on an USB everything works fine if you select correctly the right reader in your application.

If you'd like to use the Omnikey as a smartcard reader, you could try out the Windows version of the Yubico Authenticator Desktop. Place the NEO on the Omnikey reader and run the software which will have a blank list of credential if you didn't added any before.
Use the Yubikey NEO manager to verify that that the yubioath applet is installed on the NEO before doing anything with the Yubico Authenticator.

For the NFC you will need an NFC enabled device such as an Andoird smartphone. Install YubiClip or Yubico Authenticator there and you'll be able to test the NEO both as contact-less smartcard and NFC tag.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:50 am 

My RM Yubikey NEO just arrived. There was most certainly a problem with the other NEO.

With a brand new NEO I tried this.

1) I switched the NEO to -m82. Removed NEO and reinserted. All good
2) I installed the 4 CAP files via Yubikey NEO Manager (I have not installed my GPG keys yet)
3) Insert the Omnikey 5321 v2 into the USB port on my PC
4) Set the new NEO ontop of the Omnikey
5) I lauched the Yubikey Authenticator I downloaded from http://opensource.yubico.com/yubioath-d ... eases.html
- BTW, when I go "about" in the Yubikey Authenticator application is says version 0.0.6 (not 0.1.0)
6) I click on "Show Codes" from the system tray icon I get a popup saying
"Warning: No Yubikey NEO detected
No Yubikey NEO found. Please pligin your Yubikey NEO in one of your USB port"

If I plugin the NEO to a USB, yes, the Yubikey Authenticator works and I get codes. If I remove the NEO and sit it on top of the Omnikey I only get the above error message.

I also tried launching the HID Omnikey Workbench software. The Omnikey Workbench never seems to see the NEO. If I insert a credit card with a chip inside the Omnikey it reads the ATR string.

What are the steps one takes to get a new NEO via NFC to work with the Omnikey 5321 v2 + Yubikey Authenticator on a PC. Nothing I have tried works.

Erik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Attachment:
phot1o.png
phot1o.png [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 7337 times ]

As you see its working. Be sure that you have the latest version of the authenticator from opensource.yubico.com. Previous version supported only the NEO as a reader.

Also, when doing this i notice that the omnikey reader does not read from all angles. Therefore, try to position the NEO as in my picture and try to push it toward the reader.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:30 am 

I figured it out from your picture. Your light on the Omnikey was lit, mine turns on when plugged into the USB then it turns off after 5-10 seconds. The Omnikey is certainly not plug and play. The default Microsoft drivers dont work, the Microsoft "device" was a lie, and you cant manually update the Microsoft drivers. I installed the drivers from

http://www.hidglobal.com/drivers/14981

And the Yubikey Authenticator + NEO+NFC works slick. The NEO smartcard auto installs as soon as the NEO is set on the Omnikey.

Tom, any particular reason the ykneo-bitcoin applet and yubioath-android cant be installed via the Yubikey NEO Manager?

gpg2.exe --card-status
doesnt work via NFC? Must the NEO be plugged directly into a USB to use the OpenPGP/GnuGP features?

If I want to make a native C/C++ Windows .dll for communicating with the various NEO applets where should I start? The http://opensource.yubico.com/yubico-c/ ? Is there already an open source project out there for doing just this on Windows?