Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:55 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 am 

Support,
I have read the other threads, but frankly the answers given have been lacking.

I am in need of proper windows drivers for the CCID on the NEO, specifically for Windows 7 64bit.

I have this need for a few application specific reasons and more fundamental reasons also. Currently I can export and register the generated certificates with my CAs (various types). Because of the lack of proper driver, I can not recognize the SmartCard reader via the native Windows clients, and I need to so simple things - like sign Adobe Documents with the SmartCard credentials-. After I have accomplished very basic tasks like that, I will move on to the larger plans.

I find it hard to believe that this product made it through development, testing, pre-production and production runs without fully proofing it's compatibility. The technology is advertised on the product's site but is crippled, if you wan to seriously use it.

This was not intended to be a small implementation, it's a simple proof of concept for a multi-national telecommunications company with a major professional services organization. We're looking to go away from RSA hardware products and right now, I'm glad I only purchased one for a trial instead of a hundred or more for a staging batch.

Thanks for a Prompt Reply!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The NEO, when configured in CCID or CCID+OTP mode shows up as a "plain vanilla" CCID reader and should therefore show up as "Microsoft Usbccid Smartcard Reader (WUDF)" in the Device manager, without any requirements for a custom driver install.

The "Smartcard" is a different game though and as seen, it shows up with an exclamation mark. The new driver architecture in Windows 7 adds a new layer on top of smartcards, allowing uniform access to smartcards from different vendors. As we a this point don't provide any Windows specific applets for the NEO, providing a "generic NEO minidriver" does not make sense.

This error can be seen as a warning and the NEO can still be accessed through PC/SC.

With regards to compatibility, the NEO is as compatible as a blank Javacard/JCOP2.4 card inserted into a generic USB CCID reader. Adding application-wide smartcard/PKI support in Windows is unfortunately a non-trivial task and we don't claim to provide an out-of-the-box behavior here. There are third-party companies providing additional middleware and applets for this.

The main objective with the NEO is to be an enhanced Yubikey with NFC support and the CCID/Smartcard support is still somewhat experimental. We'd be happy to discuss any potential usage scenarios and see how/if we can support them with the NEO as it stands today.

With the best regards,

JakobE
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico