Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:52 pm 

I have just received my order for 2 keys. A Yubikey 2.0 for use with LastPass and a Yubikey VIP for use with Paypal.

I just read something that made me wonder if I needed the standard Yubikey at all. Could I reprogram slot 2 of the Yubikey VIP for use with LastPass? I don't want to return anything but thought that if I can use 1 key instead of 2, I only need to have one key plugged in. Or perhaps the Yubikey VIP can be used with LastPass withouyt reprogramming slot 2?

If either of those work, presumably I could register both keys for use with LastPass and use one in my laptop and one in my desktop.

Any advice much appreciated!

Regards

John.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 am 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

The VIP enabled YubiKey has two configuration slots. When the VIP enabled YubiKey is shipped, it's first configuration slot is factory programmed for Symantec VIP credentials and the second configuration slot is left blank i.e. not programmed. The two configuration slots of the YubiKey work independently and each can be independently reconfigured into OTP or static password mode.

YubiKey 2.X has two configuration slots. When the YubiKey 2.X is shipped, it's first configuration slot is factory programmed for OTP mode (which works with online Yubico OTP validation server) and the second configuration slot is left blank i.e. not programmed. The two configuration slots of the YubiKey work independently and each can be independently reconfigured into OTP or static password mode.

If you touch and hold the YubiKey button between 1-3 seconds before releasing, the first configuration slot will emit the password (based on slot 1 configuration). And if you touch and hold the YubiKey button about 4-5 seconds before releasing, the second configuration slot will emit the password (based on slot 2 configuration). In case if you happen to touch and hold it longer for more than 5 seconds, the touch button indicator will flash rapidly without emitting any password.

This means, you can use a single YubiKey with both the VIP enabled services (like PayPal, ebay) and OTP enabled services (like LastPass).

We hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:22 pm 

samir wrote:
This means, you can use a single YubiKey with both the VIP enabled services (like PayPal, ebay) and OTP enabled services (like LastPass).

Great, thank you for the reply. I'd read most of what you said elsewhere but this is all new to me so I needed it confirming. The above line was the crucial one!

I did want RFID for future uses so my Yubikey 2 is the RFID variety. Are there plans to have a VIP device with RFID as well?

Regards,

John.