Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: RFID documentation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:08 pm 

I am looking for additional documentation on the new RFID Yubikey. I just received one yesterday. I don't know how to determine if it supports MIFARE Plus, or just MIFARE Classic? The firmware version is 2.1.2
I am curious if it will (in the future) be possible to use the RFID Yubikey as a contactless smartcard and have it authenticate me against the same LDAP backend as my OTP. An example would be for an enterprise application where users are given an RFID Yubikey. If they are logging into a system that has a smartcard reader they would be able to use the contactless RFID for authentication, but if the machine doesn't have a reader the user could plug into a USB port and use the OTP to authenticate. The RFID and OTP would both be associated with the same identity. Is this possible, or will it be?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Post subject: Re: RFID documentation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:36 pm 

I just came across this post from 2008 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=460
I see that at the time JakobE commented that Yubico had selected Mifare Classic from NXP. I also just realized that the RFID Yubikey product page says "will eventually support MIFARE Plus and other more secure RFID standards" which leads me to believe that my new key only supports Classic? It would be nice to NXP's SmartMX supported since this would open the door for Yubico to enter eGovernment (the sector that I work in), and banking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:36 pm 

OK. My last post on this topic. I have answered my own question. The Yubikey packaging has a sticker that reads mifare std 1K. The MIFARE standard that uses 1K of storage is MIFARE Classic. Although RFID is not an area that I know much about, it is my understanding that MIFARE Classic does not offer any degree of security. There are many well documented practical attacks against the MIFARE Classic standard that can copy and/or modify a card very quickly in a variety of scenarios including "card only" attacks. Even NXP (the company responsible for MIFARE) has acknowledged that serious problems with MIFARE Classic security exist. http://www.nxp.com/cgi-bin/faq/faq.pl?q ... =41&fid=18
Having said that, I do love the design of the Yubikey, and I look forward to future releases that support MIFARE Plus and higher levels of security.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Right - you found it out yourself. We're currently supporting Mifare Classic (1k).

We are very aware (as we've indicated before viewtopic.php?f=4&t=439 ) that the Mifare CRYPTO1 algorithm is broken. However, given the spread of Mifare Classic it has been a pure business decision to go for the Classic 1k track. For most access control application, it still works - although with a lower security than claimed (by NXP/Philips). Compared with the commonly used "proximity cards" which just emits a static ID however, Mifare is a different leauge.

We have got a few requests for other 13.56 MHz standards and we will eventually switch over to the Mifare Plus later on. If you have some project in mind, we may make some special DESFire or Plus Yubikeys available. Plus chips are still a bit difficult to get hold of "in reasonable volumes".

Please let us know your thoughts. I am happy to take off-line requests at jakob at yubico dot com if you don't want to discuss it here.

With the best regards,

JakobE
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:04 pm 

Hi.

Is there a guide or even some hints/tips on how to begin to configure & use the RFID mi-fare component?

AdThanksVance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:53 pm 

I'm curious as well about the possibility of Mifare Plus or other higher security options. Is this still being considered? If so, might there be a rough timeline for when they'd be for sale?