Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:57 pm 

Hi,
I installed the Windows login component and configured HMAC-SHA1 but it appears like what it does is require the Yubikey on top of the Windows password.

Is it possible to configure it so that it just logs in automagically when the Yubikey is inserted? I want the extra convenience, not the security in this case.

Thanks
Maciej

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:52 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

Yes, you would have to remove the password on the Windows account. This works fine for me on Windows 8, but with Windows 8.1 and 10, I've seen some users have difficulty with this. You may have to enable the YubiKey requirement while there is a password on the account, reboot, and then disable the Windows password (i.e. Ctrl+Alt+Del, Change a Password, enter the current password, leave the new and confirm fields black, and press Enter).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:58 am 

Removing the password from the Workgroup computer makes that User Account a YubiKey only account.

Can the YubiKey be the only thing one user will use while allowing others to use the regular password for the same single local user account on a Workgroup computer?

Sorry for the naïveté, but I am just beginning to understand that the YubiKey is intended to be used as an 'I have this thing' in ADDITION to a known password which is a 'I know this thing', correct?