Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:03 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

We support proper NFC devices and windows phone is not, they have a non standard stack. You should contact MS and suggest that they update their API. Our fix works with a developer NEO where you can upload it, but not with a production NEO where transport keys are randomized.

The NEO developer programme is designed for developers/companies rather then individuals.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:26 pm 

LastPass on WP8.1 and the YubiKey NEO works. Just do as the manual told you:

yjeanrenaud wrote:
Hi,
I just stumbled upon this and fixed my new YubiKey neo to work with WP8 and WP8.1. It all works on windows 8 perfectly without the need for linux. Oh and you don't need to keep m82 enabled. I switched back to m0 becasue I don't need smart card support right now and it works like a charm.
basically what I did is:
  1. download an unpack ykpers-1.15.1 from http://yubico.github.io/yubikey-persona ... eases.html
  2. opened a command line interface with admin privileges
  3. entered devmgmg.msc to make sure there is no other SmartCard device in my laptop
  4. entered ykpersonalize -m82 and confirmed by y
  5. unplugged and replugged the Yubkey NEO.
  6. waited for windows to recognize the smart card interface and install the default drivers
  7. downloaded and unpacked GPShell-1.4.4 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/globalp ... p/download
  8. downloaded gp_wp8fix from download/file.php?id=24
  9. entered gpshell gp_wp8fix in the command line interface
  10. unplugged, tested on a WP8 and WP8.1 phone and replugged the Yubkey NEO
  11. entered ykpersonalize -m0 and confirmed by y in the command line
  12. done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:56 am 

+1 this worked for me on my Lumia 1520 and WP8. Thanks to all involved!

One thing worth mentioning is that when I did step 9. above initially, the output returned as:
"(6D00: Invalid instruction byte / Command not supported or invalid.)"
I unplugged the NEO and found that it still didn't work via NFC, but then plugged it back in and tried step 9. again.
The result this time was success, and all worked as expected after this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:19 pm 

yjeanrenaud wrote:
LastPass on WP8.1 and the YubiKey NEO works. Just do as the manual told you:

Hi yjeanrenaud, unfortunately gp_wp8fix only works for developer NEOs, and not the production NEO I have (Serial number > 3000000) which has randomised keys.

Tom wrote:
Hello,<br /><br />We support proper NFC devices and windows phone is not, they have a non standard stack. You should contact MS and suggest that they update their API. Our fix works with a developer NEO where you can upload it, but not with a production NEO where transport keys are randomized.<br abp="961"><br abp="962">The NEO developer programme is designed for developers/companies rather then individuals but if you are interested I can provide with more information.

Hi Tom, thanks for your update. Not sure how far I'll get with requesting Microsoft update their API, so my only option would be to swap my production key for a developer one with known keys or return it and wait for Microsoft to catch up. Could I have some more info about doing this through the dev programme?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:28 pm 

Any update on the production keys. I know everyone hates Microsoft, but sending a text key via NFC into a text field can't be that hard. Obviously there is a work around for non-locked down keys, so I'm assuming an small program from Yubico to make the change on a production key should be a viable solution. We also use Auth Anvil and their programmer won't work with the Yubi-Neo either, I'm assuming the lockdown is also part of this issue. I have a Lumia 928.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:01 pm 

I want to change my own Yubikey NEO with a developer edition as well. When i bought it, there weren't such posts with unsuccessful attempts, only successful ones.
For me it's really important for my Yubikey to work with Windows Phone and NFC.

What must i do?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:00 pm 

that's what you must do: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1032&p=6233#p5463

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:54 pm 

As it stands at the moment, this is no longer possible if you have a production rather than a developer NEO with a serial number as follows:

• 2624253-2624449
  • 2624801-2625499
  • 3000000+

https://www.yubico.com/2014/07/yubikey-neo-updates/

Unfortunately in my case all I could do was return my production key for a refund with the hopes that Microsoft sort out their NFC stack in Windows 10 and/or I switch to another mobile platform, at which point I can happily think about updating my existing Yubikeys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:27 pm 

HELP! How is it possible for Yubico to not have a simple checkbox in the personalization tool to provide compatibility with Windows phones?

The universe of NFC users doesn't include many geeks that are willing to use command line hacks to fix compatibility problems. Blaming Microsoft is a childish response to this problem.

Hey, Yubico, put on your big boy pants, quit whining and make it work!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:37 am 

gmit wrote:
HELP! How is it possible for Yubico to not have a simple checkbox in the personalization tool to provide compatibility with Windows phones?

The universe of NFC users doesn't include many geeks that are willing to use command line hacks to fix compatibility problems. Blaming Microsoft is a childish response to this problem.

Hey, Yubico, put on your big boy pants, quit whining and make it work!

As a former software engineer, I regard Yubico's response as entirely understandable. There are standards for NFC and the Neo apparently complies with them. That being the case, your ire should be addressed to Microsoft, whose code that is broken in not behaving appropriately when faced with a standards compliant device that doesn't do what the Microsoft programmers assumed.

The work-round Yubico have made available for developer Neos requires a level of access that is inappropriate for users to have on a production standard security device. Yubico's move to random keying at the Global Platform level is an important measure to ensure the integrity of the applets on a Neo, to which you are entrusting security sensitive data.

If Yubico make the current Windows Phone 8 work-round a standard feature of production Neos, this becomes an implicit promise to support Windows Phone despite its lack of standards compliance. What happens if Microsoft subsequently change their code in a way that breaks the work round? Users will be expecting Yubico to update again which, in the worst possible scenario, will involve replacing their Neos.

Production Neos are sold "as is" with the firmware version current at the time of production. If you can show they fail to comply to the standards relevant to a feature, you have a case for replacement or refund as appropriate. However, Yubico cannot be responsible for a lack of compatibility with third party code that isn't compliant with the relevant standards. Compatibility issues are the fault of the party responsible for the defective code.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next