Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:27 pm 

I have now had my Yubikey for about 1 week and it's awesome to use, I currently subscribe to Rohos and LastPass, both work pretty well.

My query is : can Yubikey be configured to be used on Microsoft Office products , Word for Windows, and Excel? I know how to use the password feature on Excel and Word, but cannot seem to get yubikey to work, I have standard Yubikey not Vip .

Regards

M :?:

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:13 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

Your Yubikey comes pre-configured for releasing a One Time Password (OTP) i.e. a new unique password each time the Yubikey button is pressed. This mode is mainly designed to be used access control where a server calculates and verifies the OTP used. However, a Yubikey can in addition to the OTP mode be configured to (using the second configuration slot, a programmable feature of your Yubikey) provide a so called Static Password that can be used for applications requiring static passwords such as Microsoft Office. You can configure a long static Password (or have the Yubikey Personalization tool create one for you). Then each time you want to protect a document you will press the button for about 4 seconds (releasing the static password from the second configuration slot of the Yubikey) to protect the document and pressing the button again when you want to unlock a document.

To program the second configuration slot of the YubiKey, please download the latest YubiKey Personalization Tool from the link below:

http://www.yubico.com/personalization-tool

Each person you would want to share the document with would naturally also need the same password, either entered manually or configured in their Yubikey so this approach will in practice mostly work for sharing password protected documents within a smaller group of people.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:15 pm 

Thank you Samir, but i thought if i used the download tool it would alter my Yubikey permanently for other uses e.g logging onto this site etc.., I will read the instructions and try this thanks again. :)