Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:29 am 

Hi team, I've read somewhere that the caps lock can be used to trigger the key, but when I double click my caps key, I just see the yubi flashing. It's not actually pumping out the otp.

Am I doing this wrong? I'd like to build a program that uses the yubikey as a dongle, thus if I can simulate a double caps lock, I could trigger the OTP on demand.

Thoughts?

THanks!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:33 pm 

I think the old feature has been disabled to avoid apps phishing the OTPs from the key. Will forward to Jakob to confirm.

Is there a strong use case for that?

Thanks for comments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That function is alive and works. It however only works on Windows and it has therefore been somewhat left in the shadows. Portability is an important part of the Yubikey message and as it does not work seamlessly on all platforms, it is a candidate to be removed in future releases. Just like with navigation...

The caps/num/function relies on the fairly odd behavior of Windows that when caps/scroll/num is pressed on one keyboard, all others are updated as well. When the caps lock button is pressed, Windows sends out a indicator LED update report that the Yubikey intercepts. When two LED update reports with different LED state are detected within 0.5 seconds, this is considered a trig if the feature is enabled.

On MacOS for example, each keyboard is treated separately. If you press caps lock on keyboard #1, keyboard #2 (in this case the Yubikey) is not affected.

Note that the feature needs to be explicitly enabled using any of the config tools.

Does this information bring any clarity and light over the case ? If not, please let me know.

Regards,

JakobE
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:58 pm 

Thanks for the update. I take it then that it's disabled on my yubikey. This is not a big deal. Just wanted to explore the idea.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, it is disabled on all keys we program, to avoid OTP-harvesting javascript/flash/etc attacks. You can enable it by re-programming your key, but then you can't use our server any more..

/Simon