Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:41 pm 

I just got a yubikey edge-n (nano) for use with my Macbook Pro. It's great except for one thing - I inadvertently brush it with my hand about ten times a day, spamming whatever I'm doing with a OTP string. It seems to just be too sensitive. It's become such a pain - esp with strings dumped into chat - that I'm contemplating just removing it :-/

Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm currently using the second slot, so moving the OTP to the second slot is not a solution. Is there another solution? I'm thinking that I could just increase the time needed for contact to activate the first slot, but I don't know how to do this. Is there a way to configure the first slot to only emit a string when touched for 1-2 seconds rather than instantly?

Thanks!
-Andrew

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

try to disable the "fast trigger" option from the personalization gui

that should help

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:06 am 

Thanks for the hint, but the fast triggering option was actually already deselected.

I found my solution here: https://www.yubico.com/faq/triggering-n ... tently-do/

I'm using a mac, so the yubiswitch application is the way to go!

"For Windows users:

Using the YubiKey Personalization Tool, select Settings.
Under the Extended Settings section, deselect the check box for Use fast triggering only if slot 1 is programmed.
You will need to touch the YubiKey for at least a half-second to emit an OTP. For an even longer wait time, consider moving the configuration to the second slot. (See Downloads to obtain the YubiKey Personalization Tool for Windows.)

For Mac OS X users:

To turn off your YubiKey automatically after a period of inactivity, use the taskbar application, YubiSwitch."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:31 am 

Same problem here.
I tried the yubiswitch but it did not seem to work for me on OSX 10.11.

Is there a way to disable (not erase) the OTP functionality? I expect to be using the Nano solely for PGP and/or PIV functionality anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:27 am 

andrewjacob6 wrote:
I just got a yubikey edge-n (nano) for use with my Macbook Pro. It's great except for one thing - I inadvertently brush it with my hand about ten times a day, spamming whatever I'm doing with a OTP string. It seems to just be too sensitive. It's become such a pain - esp with strings dumped into chat - that I'm contemplating just removing it :-/

Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm currently using the second slot, so moving the OTP to the second slot is not a solution. Is there another solution? I'm thinking that I could just increase the time needed for contact to activate the first slot, but I don't know how to do this. Is there a way to configure the first slot to only emit a string when touched for 1-2 seconds rather than instantly?

Thanks!
-Andrew

I just bought one as well, in both Linux and Windows 10 it spits OTP strings into every active window (for example, if I visit github.com it automatically activates the browser search feature and searches for the OTP string, every 5 seconds!). And that's without any touching.
Totally crazy!

I only saved my PGP keys to it, in Linux, don't know to which slot.
I disabled the Fast Trigger thing but it doesn't help. I'll have to reprogram and try to use only Slot 2.

Edit 1: In Personalization Tool on the right hand side it says Slot 1 is configured.
I changed to Slot 2 (so now Slot 2 is configured, I'm not sure if that means that Slot 1 isn't any more?) and disabled Fast Trigger (which shouldn't matter now that Slot 2 is also configured).

Edit 2: I had to delete stuff from Slot 1, so now Fast Trigger doesn't work (and I can use just one Slot - Slot 2).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:45 am 

martinpaljak wrote:
Same problem here.
I tried the yubiswitch but it did not seem to work for me on OSX 10.11.

Is there a way to disable (not erase) the OTP functionality? I expect to be using the Nano solely for PGP and/or PIV functionality anyway.

With YubiKey personalization tool, delete configuration in Slot 1.

By the way I tried a different slot (ironically, in one of those cheap USB hubs) and it seems my Yubikey behaves better in terms of accidental firing.
Maybe it's a matter of not inserting it too deeply in the USB slot in your notebook. Something that I may try eventually but at the moment I'm just using the cheap USB hub as a "USB proxy" to my notebook.