Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:55 pm 

Since replacing an older laptop running WinXP with a new one running Win7 I am experiencing unreliable operation of the static password (password mode) of the Yubikey. Previously I could touch the Yubikey for four seconds to have it input the string that I configured there using the Yubikey configuration utility. Now with the new machine running Windows 7 I can only get it to input the string occasionally. The OTP mode on Win7 works fine every time. It is only the static password that misbehaves. I noticed that the LED on the Yubikey flashes three times fast when the input fails to appear. When the OTP is input successfully the LED goes dark until the string is complete. I am soliciting anyone's advise regarding why this might be occurring, and how it may be corrected.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:27 am 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

From the description provided by you, it seems that you are using a YubiKey 2.X whose configuration slot 1 is programmed to OTP mode and configuration slot 2 is programmed to static password mode.

If you touch and hold the YubiKey button between 1-3 seconds before releasing, the first configuration slot will emit the password (based on slot 1 configuration). And if you touch and hold the YubiKey button about 4-5 seconds before releasing, the second configuration slot will emit the password (based on slot 2 configuration).

We would appreciate if you can touch and hold the YubiKey button about 5 seconds before releasing and try to generate static password from the second configuration of your YubiKey on Windows 7 laptop.

If you are still facing problems, we would appreciate if you can provide us following information:

1) Download and install the YubiKey configuration utility from the link given below:

http://www.yubico.com/developers/personalization/

Plug your YubiKey in the USB slot. Start the YubiKey configuration utility and click on "Next". Under "Testing the YubiKey" section, select "Check the YubiKey type and firmware version" and click on "Next". Here if you see that the YubiKey type and Firmware version are listed then the YubiKey is working fine. Please send us the YubiKey type and Firmware version information.

2) The hardware information about your computers i.e. CPU, Keyboard make

3) Keyboard layout configured in your Windows operating system

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:46 am 

My Yubikey info is:
Yubikey Type: Yubikey 2
Firmware Version: 2.00.1
Configured: Yes

My Computer is:
HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Integral English-US keyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

To restate: This Yubikey was previously working in a WinXP based HP Laptop with both slot 1 and 2 enabled. It was moved without any change to its configuration to the above specified computer. The OTP output from the Yubikey works 100% reliably, while the static password in slot 2 works only 5% reliably in the new computer.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:50 am 

After re-reading the above reply I tried holding for 5 seconds instead of 4. I am now realizing reliable operation. This must have been the problem. Thanks.

I was sure that 4 seconds was the correct procedure under the old computer. That doesn't seem to work in the new one.