Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:33 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:55 am 

Hi,

I have read the configuration guide and seem to have struck a problem. Being a newbie, with a heavy cold at the moment, I could have missed an obvious solution.

Heres what I want to do:
(1) I would like to proogram a static pasword without destroying the fiunctionality of the OTP that is verified by Yuboco's servers (2) at a later date I would like to use the same static pasword on a second yubikey with a different OTP that is verified by Yubico

Your advice will be appreciiated

thanks

dp:)

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:01 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

We can use the new Yubico Configuration utility aka Yubico Personalization Tool v2.0 for configuring the second configuration of the YubiKey 2.0.

The tool and the user guide are available for download from the following link:

http://www.yubico.com/developers/personalization/

The summary of steps that we need to follow to set the second configuration to static password mode without destroying the first configuration is as follows:

1) Start the YubiKey configuration utility

2) From the "Select task" screen, select "Create a static YubiKey configuration(password mode)" from "Programming the YubiKey" section

3) Select the appropriate option of your choice from "Create a static Yubikey configuration" screen

4) Select the appropriate values from the subsequent screens

5) Select the appropriate options from "Specify output parameters" screen . All options are optional.

6) Specify the protection password if you want

7) From the "Programming", select the "Write to configuration 2 (YubiKey 2 only)" option and click on "Run" (Don't select the "Write to configuration 1" other wise the OTP mode set for the configuration 1 will be overwritten)

Regarding generating the same static password from two YubiKeys, you need to program both YubiKeys to static password mode using the same "Public Identity", "Private Identity" and "AES Key" and by selecting same options while programming both the YubiKeys.

We hope this helps!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:35 am 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:16 pm 

This is a great tutorial.

I have run into a problem however. After configuration 2 is set to static, when I press the yubikey, it by defualt uses the OTP.

So when I am in notepad, it gives me OTP every time, never a static. How can I force the yubikey to use the static so I can set my truecrypt?

Thanks!

-Todd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:44 pm 
Yubico Team
Yubico Team

The YubiKey 2.0 has two configuration slots. When the YubiKey is shipped the first configuration slot is factory reprogrammed to OTP mode and the second configuration slot is left unchanged i.e. blank.

If we press the YubiKey button for 1-3 seconds the first configuration slot will emit the password. If we press the YubiKey for 4-5 seconds the second configuration slot will emit the password.

As you have reprogrammed the second configuration slot for the static password, you need to press the YubiKey button for 4-5 seconds so that the second configuration slot will emit the static password.

We hope this helps!