Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:29 am 

The largest complaint I have with the current edition YubiKey (which is an awesomely useful and simple product; limited-scope task-specific devices FTW) is the form factor and seeming complexity of capacitive contact sensors. Another device I use (though wouldn't recommend unless you really, really need it due to the cost) is a GoldKey, which has what I would consider to be the perfect form-factor.

There are several reasons why this form-factor is better than the current version:

• The current version does not contact the USB pins in the port securely. If any upwards pressure is applied to my key, it disconnects.
  • The key has a large surface area, albeit thin. The large surface area and thinness makes right where the key is inserted into the USB port a major stress point where excessive downwards pressure could cause damage.
  • The current key requires almost no pressure to remove as it can not utilize the built-in retention spring clips present in most USB ports. The GoldKey I have fits quite snugly, and snaps in and out cleanly.

Attached are two pictures; one of the device itself, the other of the device inserted into a computer with the stock keychain. My idea for a YubiKey would be to utilize this form-factor with one of two positions for the ground-bridge contact sensor: the back as a protruding pin or surface-run wire (exposed epoxy on the GoldKey) or as a 'floating' 3mm x 3mm panel cut out of the top surface of the key.

Attachment:
goldkey-security-key1.jpg

Attachment:
goldkey-security-key2.jpg

The circuit necessary to detect finger presses on a grounded panel to the contact panel should be simpler, I think, than the pressure-sensitive capacitive system currently in use.

The dimensions are: 30mm long, 12mm wide, 4.5mm thick. (The dimensions of an elongated USB plug.)

My 2¢,

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:04 am 

I totally agree! And I think many would be ready to pay 20$ more to get flash memory too (like 8GB) and the smartcard feature that unlock windows.

Also, such a form factor can be carried on a chain necklace with a detachable clip and it would actually fit with the chain. I know I'd do it ;-)

And the cherry on the sunday, to have more slots, 2 static/otp used with the button, 1+ challenge response slot, 10+ TOTP slot to use with the utility (as there is an utility, it is easy to select the slot desired when the TOTP is required)