Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:18 am 

I have been trying to replace my Google Authenticator with Yubico Authenticator, but everytime I try to add a new credential, I receive the following error message:

Error in Yubikey Communication!

I know the NFC "works" because Tapping the Yubikey on the Change Device Password page works, although not reliably. It'll go through after 3-5 tries. My phone also generates those random NFC sounds everytime I try, so it's trying to do something.

I did find this thread earlier that contained some steps to help fix this issue. I followed all of them except the one's where I would have to manually run commands. None of them helped fix the issue. Currently, I have set it to HID+CCID with touch eject.

I am using a Samsumg Galaxy Note 3 which doesn't appear to be on the list of working devices, but the NFC seems to be fine so I'm not sure what the deal is here... The yubikey itself works fine also.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It looks like just an NFC range problem. Probably your device does not emit enough power and you have stick the Yubikey right on the spot (remove any covers)

This is not a BUG and is not related with the Yubikey, rather with the NFC capabilities of your device.

Proof of this, is that sometimes it does work.

Try with a different NFC enabled device, and check it you experience the same behaviour or try to find the best spot where to place your Yubikey NEO (press it slightly against the device)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:02 am 

I have the same problem here, using an up to date Samsung S8 (Android 7, kernel 4.4.13-something).

I use the S8's NFC regularly without issues, e.g. daily Android Pay payments and to check in and out of London's undeground turnstiles. It is difficult to think that it is the phone hardware's fault, as the Site Admin is suggesting.

I've tried all spots at the back of the device and without any cover around the phone. Android Pay - for your info - has no issues working _with_ cover, and almost anywhere towards the top and center of the back of the device.

My hope is that the issue is caused by something fixable in the Yubico Authenticator software, perhaps some bad interaction with Android that has not been tested thoroughly on modern devices.

Thanks.

Last edited by giacecco on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:32 am 

Sorry to write again so soon. I believe I have proof the issue is in Yubico Authenticator. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, and it is almost always working, and with a case around the phone.

This suggests that, before reinstalling, there was some dirty data somewhere that compromised the workings of the app.

This also allowed me to test where - at the back of the phone, it is more likely for the Neo to be read successfully, and it is at the back of the volume keys, with the Neo facing down (the side without the button).