Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:29 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:00 am 

I have two YubiKeys (STD, VIP) with a third (NEO) enroute. I am running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit and while I am reasonably good with superficial level tech stuff, I am by no means a computer science wiz.

One of the main reasons I purchased a YubiKey was to use it as two-factor authentication for my laptop logon. I read through the guide on the main Yubico website and browsed the tech forum pretty thoroughly. I realize the Yubico website says that Windows logon works for Windows 7, but usually most programs work with new versions of Windows. Of course, Windows 8 logon is quite different with the option to use a Microsoft ID (at the least). I am currently NOT using a Microsoft ID and logon locally. I am the only user of my laptop.

I downloaded the Yubico Windows Login Tool and it will not run displaying an error that it only works for Windows 7. I also configured my YubiKey per the guide, though it's to no avail since the login tool is not compatible.

Is there any way (currently) to use a YubiKey for Windows 8 login, at least locally? I figure it is only a matter of time until it is possible and I am not in a tremendous hurry, but it would be nice sooner rather than later. Does Windows 8 itself come with a way to enable two-factor authentication without a "middleware" tool like the Yubico Windows Login Tool?

UPDATE-Solved: See post viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1026

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+