Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:48 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:44 pm 

Hi all,

I am currently beta testing a Static Yubikey for implementation at my workplace. I'd like to know how I change the static key. I have tried using the sample test container and it never seems to find my Yubikey. I have followed directions and even registered the yubikcom.dll file. If anyone has a tool they use or can tell me what I am doing wrong that would be great! A tutorial would be fantastic!

Thank you!

David

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you run Vista ? I've heard that someone have experienced problems there.

We have dumped Vista here so since a few months, we don't have any machine to verify if there is something.

Anyone else experienced problems with Vista ?

Regards,

JakobE
Hardware- and firmware guy @ Yubico

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:24 pm 

I've tested it on Windows XP SP3 and Windows Server 2003 Standard. No luck :-/ I can't seem to get the program to show that I even have it plugged in.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

XP SP3 is what we're running here and that works just fine.

- Does the Yubikey work to generate OTPs ? Does it show up in the Device manager ?

- Was the component installed via the .msi installer ?

- What happens if you launch the test container - take the C++ example YKConfigTest.exe ? If you check the ykEnableDebug button and then press for example ykStaticId - do you get a debug message box ?

JakobE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:46 pm 

-It generates OTP's just fine, I do not see "Yubikey" in the device manager under HID devices. What am I looking for?
-Yes
-I get a pop up window which says (null)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:23 pm 

JakobE wrote:
We have dumped Vista here so since a few months, we don't have any machine to verify if there is something.

Anyone else experienced problems with Vista ?

I have not yet tried the programmer, but as a normal key user on vista it works fine.

Please support Vista at least with a test system there... No one likes it, but MS is becoming insistent that new deployments use it. So it WILL be relevant to your business.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've just spent some time finding out if there is a Vista specific issue and from what I can see, everything is okay, at least here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=160

With that said, it does not mean that the issue is closed. Please report if there are any issues. Please check in the device manager under "HID devices" and make sure the Yubikey is listed there as a "USB Human Interface Device". If not, it might give some clues.

We'll put up the configuration tool under Google Code. If anyone experiencing problems could give it a try, it would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

JakobE
Firmware- and hardware guy @ Yubico

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:40 am 

JakobE wrote:
I've just spent some time finding out if there is a Vista specific issue and from
We'll put up the configuration tool under Google Code. If anyone experiencing problems could give it a try, it would be highly appreciated.

I have not seen any link for the COM object source code. Was this ever released?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:20 am 

I just went to test my app that uses yubikcom.dll and guess what.. On Windows Server 2003 the Yubikey is not detected and cannot be programmed. Even worse than the behavior on Vista!

For goodness sake PLEASE FIX IT and/or release the source code so we can do troubleshooting.

P.S. I have tried the YkMon build, but it fails on 2003 and Vista (and works fine on XP). YkMon has many errors on Vista, where the yubikcom.dll mostly works on vista except for inability to program.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Finally - both these issues are now tracked down. I am deeply sorry it has taken so long.

Yes - as ferrix said, there has actually been two issues.

Pro primo - the so called "Vista issue" a.k.a "XP SP3" a.k.a. "Dell keyboard issue" a.k.a. "Ghost issue" is not a Vista issue nor a Dell issue or even a combination of them. It was just a nasty (and stupid) bug that could cause the key open routine to open the keyboard rather than the Yubikey. The problem was more likely to occur when more than one USB HID device (other than the Yubikey) was attached to the machine. You may call us ignorant for not having fixed this earlier, but honestly, there has been no machine setup here where we've been able to reproduce the problem. The observation that someone made (my sincerest thanks for that) that when a Dell SK-8115 keyboard was attached, the problem popped up, when the keyboard was removed, the problem disappeared. After some searching, I got hold of a SK-8115 keyboard and the issue was found and fixed.

Pro secundo - The configuration component did not work at all at on Windows Server 2003. For some reason, still unknown to me, Win2000, XP and Vista handles the PnP device classes different than Windows Server 2003. When trying to enumerate the HID devices on 2003, the list was empty and the attempt to open the key for access failed. This routine has now been changed to scan for devices of the keyboard class rather than the HID class - this works fine on all four Windows platforms.

Again - I am sincerely sorry and regretful that the first issue (the second became known to me just a few days ago) has taken so long to resolve. We should have been much more proactive in interrogating for facts. We've tested on +25 different machines (but not on 2003 to be honnest) and the first time I saw the issue with own eyes was yesterday. Given the nature of the bug, some code review on this particular piece of code would have helped...

We'll post the updated binaries and code as soon as our testing instances have returned with their feedback. I just wanted you to know that we're [almost] done.

With the best regards,

Jakob E