Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:35 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:26 pm 

I bought a Neo a few years ago.
I was hoping to be able to use it for many uses. But the only thing I've found myself really using it for regularly is YubiKey notes. This has been the only application where I've found it more convenient than a password or pin yet also more secure

Everything else hasn't really panned out:

Unlock android lockscreen
Gmail login
Hotmail login
Windows 8.1 laptop login
LastPass
Windows Server 2008 login
Linux / ssh
PGP & Bitcoin wallet

The android lockscreen requires root and I only see a method for programmers.
http://nelenkov.blogspot.com.es/2014/03 ... g-otp.html
General NFC lockscreen support in the various apps you find on play are for static NFC tags. I wonder what Yubico are doing these days. It seems that other parties have moved or are moving into their territory. I guess Yubico wants to focus on Enterprise support but by neglecting, for example, phone support I wouldn't be surprised if Yubico starts to become irrelevant in the future, especially with Android for work.
For example, with Samsung Knox you can't root safely, yet that's what's needed for lockscreen yubikey unlock.

I tried adding the Yubikey as a trusted device in Smart Unlock and this just seemed to prevent NFC Yubikey apps from launching.

Win8 login.
If you have a company, domain etc Yubikey works OK. But for a user there are only paid logon solutions. They're not cheap. Is it worth it? Or better to use something else? Again it seems like a lost sale. That user might then show it at work for sales across a whole company.
Win2008 server. As above.
OwnCloud - support looking more accessible here but it's still poorly maintained, no v5 support.

Gmail, Google,Hotmail.
OK, we have support now but it needs upgrading to a new key. I have the Neo, not the u2a, so I have to buy again. It seems a shame I can't upgrade a slot. Google Authenticator is easier, one less step for auth. While it doesn't have backup there is an app that fills this problem.

Static use.
I find that by the time the O/S has recognised the Yubikey I could have typed a 16 character password... so it doesn't seem to make much sense. It makes more sense on a mobile device but there I don't see much support.

LastPass
Works OK on the desktop. But I never could get it working with Yubikey NFC. And yet it's sold as a bundle. Blame LastPass.

PGP and Bitcoin.
Both are not easy to setup. There could be an app to help, giving the Yubikey wider recognition.

Linux, ssh.
The best documented use. Thank goodness.

In particular out of all this it seems like NFC and Android are the most missed opportunities. Now we see Knox, things like NFC enabled locks. But Yubico seems to be sleeping in these areas, not even licensing out to startups?

If you haven't tried YubiNotes, give it a go. It seems like the way things should be. If only there was an easier way to send messages like that and other such functionality as easy as this. It shows it's possible.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:22 pm 

I wish to post an update here to make it clear to everyone:

The original comment is true for an old Yubikey NEO.

I just got my brand new one. After the first few hours, I can confirm that it works well with:
    -LastPass
    -LastPass mobile
    -Android SmartLock (to unlock the lock screen with NFC)

That's what I've tested up to now.
(I tested it on Mac and on Nexus 5 with Android 5.1.1)