Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:23 pm 

Yubikeys come pre-programmed with a YubiCloud credential on the configuration slot 1. This is of course an OTP configuration and the public prefix is set to "cc" and will validate against YubiCloud from the start.

I didn't know this when I received my new device. Being the security-minded person I am I used the Personalization tool to reset configuration slot 1 to a new OTP and of course the tool used "vv" which I cannot edit. A few minutes later I was reading on the yubico website about the "cc" prefix versus "vv" prefix. It appears "cc" is "better" in the sense that yubico deems it more validate. At least that's the way I read the website as "vv" prefix keys could be invalidated on YubiCloud. If I'm correct in my understanding that "cc" (factory set) keys are indeed better it'd obviously be good to go back to that. But I can't see any way to reconfigure slot 1 to use the "cc" prefix. The Personalization Tool always chooses "vv" and that cannot be modified.

Can someone from yubico respond with some information? Thank you!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

No there is not. You can upload a vv credential using the Yubico personalization tool GUI.

VV credentials are not less secure than CC. However some services may choose to trust only CC credentials as they believe that the user process is more prone to security vulnerabilities.

You could have maleware on your machine or someone intercepting your key when sending it to the YubiCloud. Despite this scenario being extremely unlikely to happen, it needs consideration from service providers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:49 pm 

Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it.