Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:53 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:06 am 

Can I, or how do I, configure my NEO to send a static password (which I've programmed into slot 2) to my Android device (Samsung G3)?

Also, how would someone log into this forum if they had overwritten slot 1, since the login requires OTP?

Last edited by CDU on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello CDU,

You can configure the NEO to emit via NFC the configuration in Slot1 OR Slot2 with the cross-platform tool.

To login into this forum, you need a password and a Yubico OTP.

You mentioned that you have a strong password on Slot2, thus Slot1 should be configured with the factory default. If this is not the case, create a new configuration in Slot 1 using the cross-platform tool. In the TOP LEFT corner of the tool you will see a tab named Yubico OTP.
Write a new configuration in Slot1 using the Yubico OTP, and upload your new AES key in our Cloud.
To upload the key please visit this webpage: https://upload.yubico.com/

Let us know if this help.
Tom.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:07 pm 

Tom wrote:
You can configure the NEO to emit via NFC the configuration in Slot1 OR Slot2 with the cross-platform tool.
Thanks for the response, but I'm still having trouble resolving the first question.

Where exactly in the software is this feature? I can't find it, and the documentation (http://www.yubico.com/wp-content/upload ... pdf?119b56) is almost a year old. A search of that document for "NFC", "NEO", or "Ndef" finds nothing.

In the software under Settings, I selected Update Settings, and then Swap. This did swap the info in the slots, but it didn't change what was being sent to my phone. My phone still indicates that it received an NFC request to open a URL to my.yubico.com/neo/[my OTP].

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TOOLS -> NDEF Programming -> Select SLOT 1 or SLOT 2

Swap will move the configuration in slot 1 to slot 2 but will not affect the NFC settings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:43 pm 

Tom wrote:
TOOLS -> NDEF Programming -> Select SLOT 1 or SLOT 2

Okay, so I set the NDEF type to Text and entered "test" in the box. But, as the label above the entry box states, it adds OTP to the end of the text. The phone receives a tag of the word "test" with some symbols after it. This does not work for what I'm trying to achieve. How do I get the NEO to simply broadcast the static password from slot 2, like the way it sends the keystrokes when plugged into a USB slot and I press the button?

Let me explain what I want do with the NEO, so that you can let me know if it's possible. I would like to use it to enter my LastPass password. Not as a 2nd factor authentication, but as a single factor password device. I want to be able to open the LastPass app on my phone, and place the phone next to the NEO in my pocket, and have it enter the LastPass password. I don't want to type anything more into the phone to access LastPass.

Alternatively, I would like to use the NEO as a key for unlocking my phone. Rather than entering a PIN or password to unlock the phone, I want to simply put the phone next to my pocket where I have the NEO, and have the phone unlock.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:10 pm 

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:41 pm 

For the benefit of others looking to do the same thing as myself...

I finally discovered how to make the NEO work as I wanted, albeit from a slightly different approach, but effectively accomplishing the same net result. Actually, the solution is even more efficient than what I initially envisioned. I don't even have to open the LastPass app on my phone. I only need to place the phone near a pocket with the NEO in it, and it automatically logs me in and opens the LastPass app.

I found the answer in a reply to a comment on this page http://blog.lastpass.com/2012/03/introd ... t-for.html.

Here's what it says there:
Quote:
AnonymousMarch 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Will there be a way to use/swipe the NFC on the NEO as a substitute for entering the master password, on both the phone and/or PC? That would be more beneficial to me
Replies

Joe SiegristMarch 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
@Anonymous -- you can select to 'remember password' and then utilize the Yubikey as a 'single' factor instead of part of multi-factor. We don't recommend this due to loss of security but it is possible.

Another helpful bit of information was here http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/security-o ... ubiKey+NEO
Don't worry so much about the video, the information you really need is the text below the video, which is as follows:
Quote:
After you've registered the YubiKey with your LastPass account, ensure that mobile access is "disallowed" in your LastPass Icon > My LastPass Vault > Account Settings link > YubiKey tab.

Then download the Personalization Tool from Yubico. In the Personalization tool, select the "Tools" option from the menu at the top.

In the Tools menu, select the NDEF Programming Option.

In the NDEF Programming option page, select Configuration Slot 1. Set the NDEF Type to "URI (http://..)", then in the NDEF payload field, type: "https://lastpass.com/mobile/?otp="

Press the Program button to write the NDEF2 string to your YubiKey NEO.

Now you can use the YubiKey NEO when logging in via the LastPass Android app, or used as a normal YubiKey on your desktop.

The answer was so simple, but I was looking at it from the wrong perspective. Hopefully, this will save someone else the frustration of trying to figure this out, as it didn't seem to be fully documented anywhere on the Yubico site. ;)

Carl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:13 pm 

Note that on Android 6.1 (Marshmellow) that Yubiclip won't work unless you have NDEF set to "https://my.yubico.com/neo/"
then it does get the static password from slot 2 copied to the clipboard