Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:04 am 

Just bought yubikey plain white 2.0, loving the concept

couple questions

- how securely is the static password stored on the yubikey?

- anyone get yubikey login working for windows 8? I'm using a plain login, not windows live, but the yubilogin software is not compatible.

- has anyone truecrypt the entire laptop with windows 8? is it safe/recommended or is there a chance i could corrupt files in process.

- how do you backup the yubikey slot configs???

- anyone know where i can buy a protective cap/lid for the usb connector part? tried ebay could only find full size usb lids

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

fatjoez wrote:
Just bought yubikey plain white 2.0, loving the concept

couple questions

- how securely is the static password stored on the yubikey?

Well, if someone steals your Yubikey and press the button he will get your password. That is why the Yubikey should be used as a second factor authentication token. What you should do for simple login is memorize a pincode, like "A2b2" and concatenate it with the static password emitted by the Yubikey
fatjoez wrote:
- anyone get yubikey login working for windows 8? I'm using a plain login, not windows live, but the yubilogin software is not compatible.

The software does work on windows 8 with the local login.
fatjoez wrote:
- has anyone truecrypt the entire laptop with windows 8? is it safe/recommended or is there a chance i could corrupt files in process.

This is something you should aks on TrueCrypt mailinglist. Overall all software carries the risk of causing some damages, but TrueCrypt has been out for a while and used successfully by thousands of people
fatjoez wrote:
- how do you backup the yubikey slot configs???

You simply press "write" to write the configuration on one Yubikey, and then insert a second Yubikey and press write again.
fatjoez wrote:
- anyone know where i can buy a protective cap/lid for the usb connector part? tried ebay could only find full size usb lids

The Yubikey is pretty sturdy, we have had a customer who lost his Yubikey in a car park for days and when he found it back was still working even if a large number of cars pushed it around the asphalt. You don't really need a cap, unless you are working with chemicals that can corrode the metal USB connection or well any other extreme scenarios. If you just attach it to a key chain and leave it in your pocket it is going to be ok.