Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:53 am 

I have seen a number of conflicting reports as to whether the Yubikey works with an iPhone, so I thought I would post my results.

I bought a Yubikey VIP to use with my PayPal account and it seems to work well. I always use my Mac desktop for PayPal, but I thought I would try the VIP with Safari on my iPhone to see if it works. I used the Lightning to Camera adapter, and I get the standard "unsupported" error message when I plug in the VIP. But, if I click "OK" to dismiss the error message, the VIP outputs the code just fine with a button press. I was able to log in to PayPal with no problem by entering my UserID and password, touching the VIP code input field, plugging in the VIP, touching the button to generate the VIP code and touching the "Submit" button.

However, the OTP in Slot 2 didn't seem to work on the iPhone when I tested it on the Yubico site. Apparently the "Enter" at the end of the password string isn't recognized and it just sits there after the OTP is inserted into the input field. Unplugging the VIP to restore the on-screen iPhone keyboard and pressing the keyboard "Enter" results in a validation error. At the moment that isn't a big deal since this forum is the only place I know of to use the OTP in slot 2 and I'm not likely to post here from my phone.

I don't know if Slot 2 could be reconfigured to get around the Enter problem, but I'm reluctant to dump the factory configuration this early in the game since I don't know what other use I might have for Slot 2.

Anyway, the VIP part of the Yubikey works with PayPal via Safari on the iPhone with the latest iOS update (8.1.1).

W.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:59 pm 

Hmm, validation error?

I wonder if it's possible it's sending the keystrokes a bit too quickly for the iphone to handle them all at once - the yubikey OTP is much longer than the VIP OTP, so it might have dropped some characters. Can you count the # of characters that get deposited into the yubikey otp field?

I think the personalization tool will let you reconfigure the key speed.

Brendan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:33 pm 

Try adjusting the key repeat rate for that slot if you can. I noticed that my iPad sometimes misses digits.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:07 am 

Thanks, changing the delay to 40 ms seemed to do it. Sometimes it doesn't seem to register a button press and it takes a few attempts to get the OTP inserted into the password field, but at least it validates now. I'm not sure if that is an iPhone issue or if my finger tips are too dry or something, although it doesn't seem to be a problem when plugged into my Mac desktop keyboard. Anyway, it does seem to work, although I will probably not use it with the iPhone often.

W.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:02 pm 

It is almost certainly an iOS issue.