Yubico Forum

...visit our web-store at store.yubico.com
It is currently Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:50 pm 

Hello,

I've just received my Yubikey NEO. This is my first Yubikey product, so I apologize if this is a stupid question, but here goes:

I've installed the Yubico Authenticator app on my smartphone, and I have successfully set it up to replace the Google Authenticator app.

However, the app description says that in order to use it, I must first install an applet on the Yubikey itself. I haven't done so, yet as far as I can tell, everything works a-OK.

Is this normal? Is installing the applet still required? I'm worried that I could lock myself out of my accounts if the authenticator stops working.

Thanks in advance!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

The Yubikey NEO comes with a pre-installed instance of the Yubico Authenticator. Be careful, if you re-install you will lose all your data.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:24 pm 

I'm confused, too. I'm in the situation above. Is what your'e saying is that the instructions in the following thread are no longer necessary to use Yubico Authenticator with a fresh, out of the box Yubikey NEO?

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1159

Would following the steps in this thread give us any benefit? Are we making a mistake by using Yubikey NEO with Yubico Authenticator without installing an applet on the NEO? I've already used with Yubico Authenticator for my Microsoft and Google accounts with no issues, and all I've done is download the Android app without installing anything on the NEO.

Could you please clarify for us noobs?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

The Yubico authenticator is diveded in 2 parts:

1st part sits on the neo, and its named Yubi Oath Applet
2nd part sits on you device (phone or pc) and it is named Yubico Authenticator

The Yubico Authenticator talks with the Yubi Oath Applet on the NEO.

The secrets are stored on the NEO

The Authenticator asks the NEO: " give me the secret code for account X at time Y " and prints that on your screen

ALL NEO ARE SHIPPED with the Yubi Oath Applet INSTALLED

1) If you want to update the Yubi Oath applet you can do that with the Yubikey NEO Manager.
2) You should already have the latest version of the applet with the NEO firmware 3.1.2
3) If you re-install the NEO applet you will wipe-out all your secrets. It is important with ANY authenticator that you save the QR code (screenshot) in a safe place

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:55 pm 

It looks like I have firmware 3.2.0, so it looks like I'm good. That's good to know, because the loading of an applet looks very involved for someone not initiated to this type of product (like myself). Thanks for the quick reply and clarifying all that for me.

I do have a suggestion. When I do go to the Yubico Authenticator page in the Play Store, it says that installation of the yubioath applet is mandatory, but doesn't give any indication that a user's Yubikey may already have it installed. After a user reads the installation thread, they may be to intimidated to start using the application. Would you consider adding a line to the page on the Play Store that says something like, "if you have firmware version (blank), you already have the applet installed"?

Thanks very much!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Use the Yubikey NEO manager for easy download and installation of applets.

http://opensource.yubico.com/yubikey-neo-manager/

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:32 pm 

Hello,

Thank you for your helpful replies.

When I use Yubikey NEO Manager, the "Installed apps" tab is greyed and disabled. Clicking on YubiOATH shows a status of "Not installed". Is this normal?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please post screenshot.

If what you want to achieve is to install the YubiOath applet then yes.
Just click the install button.